After recognizing that I needed to spend more time nurturing my hair from the inside out, I decided that I wanted to care for my hair without heat. I felt that this would be the best way to help my hair recover (see my previous post for details). After a lot of trial and error, I have come up with a low maintenance natural way to care for my hair. Basically I am defining the curls in my hair and wearing my hair in this state in between washes. I like this method because it leaves my hair really soft, and once I do it, all I to do maintain it is tie up my hair at night with a couple of silk scarves. When I get up, I take off the scarves, pull on my hair a little bit to arrange it, and I’m good to go. My favorite hair accessory to wear with this style is a simple fabric headband.
My method is still a work in progress, but what I am doing is the following:
In the shower:
- Shampoo my hair with Northwest Scents™ shampoo.
- Cleanse and detangle with Northwest Scents™ Keratin and Silk Curl Cleansing Cream.
Get out of the shower and apply Northwest Scents™ conditioner liberally to my hair to seal in moisture.
Divide my hair into four sections, braid each section, and let the hair dry.
After my hair has dried then I:
- Unbraid a section of hair.
- Apply Northwest Scents™ hair oil liberally to that section of hair.
- Separate that section of hair into smaller sections.
- On each smaller section I apply additional Northwest Scents™ hair oil, then I apply Northwest Scents™ hair gel. I rake the gel through the hair until it straightens out partially. I then twist the section.
I repeat the above four steps until I have finished all of my hair. Then I let the hair air dry and I take the twists down. I then carefully separate the twists, and I am done.
I have been experimenting with this method for a few months and I like the fact that it keeps my hair soft and it is easy to maintain between washes.
In the photo above, I dampened my fingertips with a teeny bit of water and applied that water to the sections of hair in between applying the oil and the gel (Part B after applying the oil in step 4). What that did was use less gel and create a fluffier hairstyle. When I didn’t apply the teeny bit of water to the sections of hair I got more definition.
The products that I have used are available in a sample kit (it is called the curl defining sample kit) for anyone who wants to try them.